The Department is structured to oversee the entire Chemical Industrial landscape of the economy and is mandated to ensure that the Nigerian industrial sector becomes the prime contributor to GDP through value addition, job creation, wealth generation and sustainable livelihood.
To develop policies that would promote chemical industrial growth, create jobs, generate wealth and sustainable livelihood.
To formulate and implement chemical industrial policies and programs that would boost industrialization, develop enterprises and ensure Nigeria made products and services are competitive.
- Chemical division: salts, alum, caustic soda, hazardous chemicals, insecticides, herbicides and pesticides.
- Petrochemical division: fertilizers, plastics, paints, inks, pigments/dyes, base petrochemicals, flexible packaging, methanol, ethanol, lubricants and gases.
- Pharmaceuticals division: medicines/drugs, vaccines, medical devices, cosmetics, soaps, detergents, toiletries, diapers, wipes, sanitary pads, napkins and oral hygiene.
The Functions/Activities of the Department include:
- Initiating, formulating, developing and implementing industrial policies;
- National industrial planning and road map;
iii. Industrial coordination and cooperation with African countries and other countries of the world;
- Protection, promotion, establishment, development, and expansion of industries;
- Initiating and facilitating incentives, concessions and waivers for industrial development;
- Industrial trainings;
vii. Initiating and implementing aids to industries.
viii. To raise appraisal for the Chemical, Petrochemical and Pharmaceutical industries;
- Provision of industrial technical consultancy;
- Industrial technical data collation, collection, analysis and storage;
- Coordination and inter-governmental cooperation on industrial development matters;
xii. Supervision of implementing Agencies such as OGFZA, NIPC, SMEDAN, ITF, BOI, SON etc;
xiii. Relations with national and international organizations such as MAN, NASME, NASSI, UNIDO, USP, USAID, UKAID, OPCW, WASME, WHO, IAEA, etc.
- Capacity building on the standardization of process recycling petrochemical products (plastic waste and used lubricant oil).
- Training on supporting small business on Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices sector.